Whether you’ve just completed a residential treatment program or are looking for a flexible outpatient program, an intensive outpatient program (IOP) might be a great next step in your treatment.
To help you decide, we’ve put together this guide to intensive outpatient programs in California. In it, you’ll learn what IOPs are all about, discover what sets California IOPs apart from other programs, and introduce you to La Fuente’s Los Angeles IOP.
Ready to start your healing journey? Contact La Fuente Hollywood Treatment Center at 888.903.9898.
What Is an Intensive Outpatient Program?
Quick — what comes to mind when you hear the words addiction treatment or rehab? If you’re like most people, you probably imagine 24-hour residential care. While inpatient treatment is certainly effective, it’s by no means the only way to kick an addiction and get sober.
In fact, outpatient treatment can be just as effective, or even more effective, than round-the-clock care. That’s because outpatient programs (which include partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs) allow clients to receive treatment for substance abuse disorders and mental health challenges while keeping up with daily responsibilities like work or child care.
Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) can either be held at an addiction treatment center or online via telehealth services. Some clients start addiction treatment in an IOP, while others move to this type of program after a 30, 60, or 90-day inpatient program.
In general, IOP clients should expect a time commitment of 10 hours per week. These hours are spread across multiple days, meaning two to three hours of treatment per day, several days per week.
Treatment hours are spent attending group or individual therapy sessions, life skills classes, support groups, and holistic workshops on meditation, yoga, and art therapy. Activities vary from day to day and from week to week, but they’re all designed to aid in recovery and prevent relapse.
After treatment ends for the day, clients return to their daily activities and sleep in their own homes.
Who Benefits from Intensive Outpatient Programs?
Outpatient programs in general, and IOP programs in particular, are designed for people who require a minimum amount of support in overcoming addictions and/or mental health challenges.
Clients usually find their way to an IOP program through one of two routes.
The first is by attending a 30 to 90-day inpatient program, then “stepping down” to a less intensive program like an IOP once they’ve learned how to integrate coping skills into their daily lives. The second option is to start an IOP program directly. This option is ideal for those who have strong support systems in place and who are already responsible and independent.
Why Choose an IOP Program in California?
There are all kinds of reasons to select a California IOP program for your recovery journey. Here are just a few:
- Pleasant weather – Research from the University of Michigan found that warm, sunny weather can improve mood, memory, and openness to new information, all of which are massively helpful for those in recovery. California’s temperate climate is about as perfect as it gets, making IOP programs in the Golden State particularly attractive.
- Beautiful scenery – Spending time in nature has been linked to improvements in mood, mental health, and emotional well-being. Take advantage of these findings by surrounding yourself with California’s incredible natural beauty during off hours from your IOP.
- Top treatment facilities – California has some of the best addiction treatment centers in the country, if not the world. That includes keeping practices and resources up to date so clients receive the best care possible.
- Specialized treatment programs – Part of being on the cutting edge of addiction treatment means providing specialized programs like dual diagnosis and LGBTQ-informed treatment.
- Diversity – With a population of 38 million, California is home to many groups of people. Whether you belong to an ethnic minority or are a part of the LGBTQ community, California’s friendliness and diversity make it a great place to seek IOP treatment.
La Fuente’s Intensive Outpatient Program California
La Fuente’s California IOP program is one of the best in the state. Our program runs from 9 am to 12 pm Monday through Friday for a period of eight to 12 weeks.
What sets us apart from other California IOPs is our LGBTQ-informed addiction treatment program. In addition to employing LGBTQ staff members, our IOP focuses on the unique traumas and challenges faced by gay men, lesbians, and trans people.
Besides our LGBTQ focus, we take a community approach to treatment. We work hard to create alumni programs to help our clients stay sober after completing treatment.
Discover La Fuente’s Intensive Outpatient Program in California
If you’re looking for an Intensive Outpatient Program in California with an LGBTQ focus, then we invite you to call La Fuente Hollywood Treatment Center at 888.903.9898.
Our compassionate staff members will be happy to answer any questions you may have to help you determine if our services are right for you.