Members of the LGBTQ community are affected by prescription drug abuse every day. Unfortunately, the LGBTQ community often lacks safe and adequate support for physical and mental health. This can lead to self-medicating for physical, emotional, and psychological pain. Self-soothing with prescription drugs often turns into addiction and dependence. A prescription drug addiction treatment center can provide effective treatment to address underlying mood disorders, unprocessed trauma, and anything else that may contribute to addiction.
If you or someone you love in the LGBTQ community is struggling with prescription drug use, La Fuente Hollywood Treatment Center can help. Our cutting-edge prescription drug rehab center in Hollywood, California, provides a wide range of treatment options for the LGBTQ community. Call us now at 888.903.9898 to get started.
Signs of Prescription Drug Addiction
Prescription drugs are highly addictive. They generally work to stimulate or depress the nervous system. This can cause a variety of physical and emotional effects. Common prescription drugs include:
Benzos and opioids are commonly used to calm the nervous system or reduce pain. Adderall can stimulate the nervous system and enhance focus. For many people, regular use of prescription drugs causes their brain to become dependent. Common signs of dependence include:
- Trouble sleeping
- Changes in appetite
- Weight loss
- Profuse sweating
- Mood swings
- Appearing drunk without drinking
No matter the type of prescription drug, when a person develops an addiction, they will experience withdrawal when the drug leaves their bloodstream. This will cause intense physical and emotional side effects. During this time, the brain will convince the body it cannot survive without more prescription drugs. This is a normal response during addiction.
Helping Someone Recovering From Prescription Drug Use
Many people struggling with prescription drug use may not seek help. Here are ways to help a loved one struggling with prescription drugs.
- Engage in active listening: Stay open and compassionate as you talk to your loved one about drug use.
- Do your research: For many people, it’s hard to understand what their loved ones are going through. By researching addiction and recovery, you can begin to understand their experience.
- Provide safe, drug-free environments: During recovery, it can feel like there are very few safe, sober places to socialize. Provide your loved one with drug-free activities.
- Attend support groups: Help your loved one by attending support groups or helping them get to and from therapy.
- Watch for signs of reuse: Get to know habits and behaviors associated with reuse to help your loved one stay sober.
- Learn your loved one’s triggers: Everyone has their own addiction trigger. By getting to know your loved one’s triggers, you can help them avoid relapse.
- Show interest: By showing interest in your loved one’s recovery and their sober activities, you can help reflect their growth.
These are only a few ways to help your loved one recover from prescription drug use. Most importantly, remember that every day provides new challenges and successes during recovery.
Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment in Southern California
If someone in your life needs support for prescription drug use, call La Fuente now. Our intimate addiction recovery clinic helps the people in our community recover. With a range of inpatient and outpatient programs, we provide the LGBTQ community with a blend of cutting-edge addiction treatment and alternative therapies. We know that as a community, we are stronger together. Join the community at La Fuente for prescription drug addiction, dual diagnosis, and other addiction treatment programs.
Start Prescription Drug Rehab at La Fuente Hollywood Treatment Center Today
If you’re ready to learn how La Fuente can help you and your loved ones recover, call us now 888.903.9898 to get started with prescription drug rehab in Hollywood, California, today.