LGBTQ Pride Month 2022 is upon us and is a time to recognize the struggles and accomplishments of the LGBTQ community. While many strides have been made toward increasing acceptance and removing the stigma surrounding those who identify as LGBTQ, there is still a much higher incidence of drug and alcohol addiction among this group. Addiction treatment therapy programs need to cultivate a welcoming, caring environment where members of the LGBTQ community can feel comfortable reaching out for the help they need to heal and recover.
The welcoming LGBTQ drug addiction treatment center at La Fuente considers the whole person and their struggles that led to addiction. Our comprehensive programs include individual counseling, group and family therapy, and medication to help you heal from trauma and addiction. Call us today at 844.956.3514 to learn more about our inclusive addiction treatment programs.
What Is Pride?
LGBTQ Pride Month aims to bring awareness to the LGBTQ community, which involves acknowledging their struggles. Many members of this community suffer from trauma and addiction, much more so than the heterosexual community. This stems from several factors, including:
- Fear of rejection
- Lack of acceptance from loved ones
- Bullying or harassment
- Internalized homophobia
To change the increasing rates of trauma and addiction among LGBTQ community members, we must address not only the addiction but the root cause itself. To support the health and well-being of the LGBTQ community, we can:
- Be open-minded and accepting if a loved one comes to you questioning or affirming whether they identify as LGBTQ. Fear of rejection may prevent a person from coming out and significantly increase the risk of turning to drugs or alcohol to self-soothe.
- Encourage kindness and acceptance among your peers. Discourage discrimination and help educate others when they are exhibiting bias against someone for identifying as LBGTQ.
- Cultivate a welcoming work environment and adopt a no-tolerance policy for bullying or harassment. Put a system in place for LGBTQ members to report discrimination without fear of retaliation.
- Set a good example for your children by being non-judgmental and using inclusive language when applicable. Young minds are impressionable, so this is the best time to teach acceptance of others.
6 Ways to Safely Celebrate Pride Month in June 2022
Whether or not you or a loved one is part of the LGBTQ community, there are plenty of ways you can show your support. You can celebrate at events, at your workplace, or even at home. Here are some ideas for showing your support for LGBTQ Pride Month 2022:
- Share LGBTQ Pride posts on social media.
- Attend an LGBTQ Pride event in your area. In-person events may still be limited, but you can find plenty of virtual events to enjoy.
- Wear LGBTQ Pride gear. You can find an abundance of t-shirts, wristbands, ribbons, and jewelry online to help show your support.
- Set up an LGBTQ Pride movie night. Netflix makes this easy with a dedicated LGBTQ category for films and TV series.
- Support LGBTQ-owned businesses.
- Ask your employer about holding LGBTQ Pride events at your workplace. This can consist of themed workshops, lunch and learn events, or group activities.
Get the Inclusive LGBTQ Addiction Treatment You Deserve at La Fuente
At La Fuente, we want to acknowledge LGBTQ Pride Month 2022 by letting our patients and future patients know we provide a welcoming, caring environment for LGBTQ addiction treatment. We want everyone to be able to get the help they need to recover from addiction and underlying health conditions. With our inclusive and comprehensive addiction treatment therapy programs and LGBTQ support groups, you do not have to hold off on getting help for fear of rejection.
Call us today at 844.956.3514 to get started on your personalized journey to healing and recovery.