Therapy is a leading resource in addiction recovery. Studies show that addiction does not exist in a bubble and is directly connected to mental health and well-being. Today, there are many types of therapy to help those living with addiction, substance misuse, and mental health. For those in the LGBTQ community, group therapy can provide a safe, inclusive community dedicated to recovery. While individual therapy is often essential for helping clients recognize and change patterns, group therapy can help a whole community.
If you and your loved ones are looking for a family therapy program, call La Fuente Hollywood Treatment Center today to learn about our addiction therapy programs in Hollywood, California. Reach our staff now at 888.903.9898 to learn about the benefits of group therapy.
What Is Group Therapy?
As the name suggests, group therapy is a type of counseling that brings a group of clients together with a therapist. While there are different types of group therapy, often, a therapist will use various techniques based on the session participants. Behavioral therapy techniques, role play, and other activities like meditation, mindfulness, exercise, or art. The goals of group therapy are the same as individual therapy. Together clients can recognize harmful patterns, change behaviors, and improve communication. Sessions are usually an hour to 90 minutes long. During recovery programs, group therapy happens several times weekly, providing a stable, consistent environment for growth and change.
Benefits of Group Therapy
Everyone’s addiction treatment and recovery are unique. Group therapy is one of the leading approaches to recovery that helps almost every client thrive. Benefits of group therapy include:
- Cost. Group therapy is less expensive than individual therapy. This means people can see a therapist more often or for a longer amount of time.
- Improved communication. The best way to improve communication is by working with others in a nonjudgemental environment. Group therapy provides the structure to learn how to talk about addiction, mental health, personal needs, and boundaries with the support of participants and the therapist.
- Community. For many people in recovery, especially those in the LGBTQ community, it can be hard to connect with friends or loved ones during recovery. Group therapy can provide connections to a new sober community that understands substance abuse and mental health.
- Accountability. During recovery, it can be hard to motivate and stay accountable; group therapy can help someone feel less alone in recovery while keeping them on track and accountable.
- Different perspectives. By working with a group rather than one-on-one with a therapist, a client gains multiple perspectives. They often see their addiction story as not that different from someone else’s. They can feel less alone and more motivated to make life changes.
These are only a few group therapy benefits. No matter where someone is in their recovery, group therapy can help them make lasting changes, develop a community, and recover from substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Learn More About Group Therapy at La Fuente Today
Unfortunately, the LGBTQ community is disproportionately affected by addiction and a lack of mental healthcare. Unfortunately, many avoid seeking treatment. The inclusive community at La Fuente can help. If you or someone you love in the LGBTQ community is ready for addiction treatment programs in Hollywood, California, we can help. Our intimate addiction treatment center provides inclusive treatments for mental health and addiction recovery with a range of inpatient, outpatient, and sober living programs. We believe the answer to healing the LGBTQ community begins right here in our Southern California neighborhoods. With compassionate staff on their own recovery journeys, our team is here to help you recover. Don’t wait. Contact La Fuente Hollywood Treatment Center today to learn more about our programs at 888.903.9898.